Here are a few tips on how to prepare your property for sale.
1. Street appeal/outside the property
- A neat entrance will enhance street appeal and leave a positive first impression. A good first impression will entice buyers to come in and inspect your property and ensures your property appears to be well maintained and taken care of. You may consider:
- Painting or replacing the front door
- Fixing the letter box
- Tidying up the front garden by cutting down overgrown plants and trees and keeping the lawn neat.
- Cleaning out garages and sheds to make them look more spacious.
- Fixing little defects such as dripping taps or broken gates, and ensuring any fencing or other outside areas do not need to be re-painted.
- Ensure your house number is clearly visible.
- Wash down and clean external walls, gutters and any outdoor furniture.
- Update the garden by simply adding some mulch and / or planting colourful flowers. Both of these inexpensive methods will instantly improve the appearance of your garden.
- Ensure any water features such as pools or ponds are clean.
2. Inside the property
- Painting in natural, contemporary colours will instantly update your home without spending too much money.
- Cover old sofas with new throws and cushions.
- Change flooring to modernise and update a dated look.
- Changing the lighting fixtures, both inside and outside the property can provide a more modern look.
- Eliminate any unnecessary clutter to make the rooms more spacious. This may include removing extra furniture which is overcrowding the rooms.
- Clean carpets or wash curtains to remove any lingering odours and to breathe new life into tired furnishings.
- Tidy up cupboards and clean up storage areas.
- Fix little defects such as dripping taps or noisy doors and windows.
- Fix any cracks in the flooring or tiles and patch any holes in the walls.